Welcome Foodies!

This blog is not an exact science, but a fun foodie page. I gather information from all kinds of sources and make them my own. I hope you share back successes, failures and super finds.
Have fun!

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Juice It UP!

Juicers. So many types and methods, both manual and electric. How do you know which one is the best for your typical use? My first experience with a juicer was one day I stayed home from church because I was feeling a little under the weather and a Jack LaLanne juicer infomercial was on! They stuck cucumbers, carrots, celery, apples, cabbage, potatoes and all kinds of stuff into this easy to use tube connected to a a centrifuge type of juicer and the result was with a beautiful cup of pure juice!  It all looked so easy. It came apart and you could throw it into the dishwasher. I bought it!
Well since then I researched all the different types and actually found out that is was a good decision. I lucked out. Today I juiced a cabbage, carrots, potatoes, vidaillia onion, fresh ginger and some parsley as my base for a veggie soup. I added a couple of garlic cloves and chicken broth with a good amount of salt and pepper cooked it until it reduced by about a third. I wanted to make it thicker so I added some canned white beans and after cooking a while I took my trusty electric soup puree wand and made it smooth. It still had a few pieces visible and so I strained it through a wire sieve and it was perfect! So many layers of flavors. So then I made some sweet fresh orange/apple/carrot juice and it is about the yummiest juice ever! So if you are thinking of getting a juicer, DO IT,and I suggest electric because of the volume of fruits and veggies you go through to get a good batch. If you do apple juice be prepared for it to turn brown. If you do granny smith apples and serve it immediately it is a beautiful bright green!

No comments: